Monday, October 20, 2014
I had a dream to write regularly on this blog. Just goes to show that some dreams come true, while others are never meant to be.
Cambridge, the true important dream though, has been realised :)
Initially, the whole place seemed magical - I felt like I was in a consistent dreamlike state, constantly dwelling on the fact that this would be my main home for the next three years. There were many wondrous and exciting experiences and discoveries in Cambridge - punting down the Backs on a beautiful sunny afternoon (a rare sight in cloudy old Cambridge), matriculation day (where I learnt that dear Hughes Hall is so informal that no one bat an eye when someone wore a hoodie to matriculation day), the discovery that there exists legitimate and authentic Asian food in Cambridge (one of the most shocking revelations of all time).
Then there was unexpectedly, for me, bike riding - a "uniquely" Cambridge activity. Apparently, punting is not the only activity the typical Cambridge student does. I never thought myself an avid cyclist, but there is something truly exhilarating, perhaps dangerously so, about zipping down narrow crowded streets, navigating traffic (some cars, the occasional lorry, the impatient cyclists, the flippant pedestrians), while taking in the sights and sounds and smells of a sunny and hmm...fresh morning in Cambridge. Night riding has its own allure - generally you're the only one on the road. It's solitary, but it's a great time to be at peace with yourself and to just enjoy being alive, as the cold night air caresses your cheeks on you journey on those long windy (and wind-y), roads.
Riding a bike could be one of the fondest memories of my life in Cambridge.
Sadly though, such free days do come to an end. With lectures, supervisions and essays looming, settling into Cambridge has been a true test of time management and priority setting abilities. A whole host of activities are presented (or rather shoved in your face). Between studying and socializing and settling in (admin nonsense) and more studying and staying in contact with people and even more goddamn studying, there really isn't almost any time left to do other things (like update this blog, hah).
Sometimes, it's kind of sad; there are hard choices one has to make: old friends vs
new friends EVERYTHING ELSE being a key point of contention. I feel I've been neglecting many friends in Singapore - not just mere acquaintances, but friends who are dear to me and worth keeping too (sorry JY if you're reading this :((( . On reflection, I think it's a time management problem; for some strange reason, there's always "spare time" for the odd video on Facebook or the "only-5-minute-long" video on Youtube. This has got to stop/ improvements must be made.
Alright. This was supposed to be a short post but apparently my lack of linguistic prowess resulted me in taking way too much time to write this.
Lectures tomorrow.
Also.
4 supervisions in 3 days, also starting tomorrow. For the unacquainted, that's A **** LOT.
Hopefully will find time to update this soon :)
Fishballs; 8:00 AM