Friday, September 26, 2014
It's curious how I feel compelled to start with an introspective, philosophical and deep title after reading my most recent posts.Though I guess most people would guess that I'm feeling insecure and embarrassed about the childishness that is just barely noticeable in my most recent posts.
It has been just four years since I last wrote a decently long blog post. My last blog post seems to have been posted by an over-excited boy bursting with excitement at the prospect of moving on to the next phase in life, with language that any self-respecting 16-year-old should be ashamed of using. The writer of the previous post seems to be focused on personal events, and on the various emotions arising from such events, and not wholly concerned with other deeper and more meaningful aspects in life.
And yet, that childish, immature, carefree person, was me.
I once wondered why people keep diaries and blogs. Keeping a blog seems like a redundant task - what do we have social media (and the related embarrassing history of status updates, pictures, and tags) for, then? But though your life in social media tells a colourful story of one's life through pictures, and through your image that you show the public, a blog (rather, one that acted more like a diary), tells a story about oneself. A diary is not merely about documenting facts, but rather documenting your opinion about facts at that time, a snapshot of your thought processes, the things you hold dear and your maturity. It is a snapshot of what you think about, how you think, and more importantly how you think about yourself. It is a picture of what you know, what you don't know, and what you think you knew.
Regrettably, I suddenly hold two snapshots - 4 years apart - with nary a glimpse into the process which shaped me into the man I am now.
Hence, as I go on to the next phase of life - Cambridge, where I am told the best and brightest minds meet, I now want to document my thoughts and mind as I (hopefully) grow and evolve with the positive influences and experience that shape me into a better person. I hope to discover more about myself, when I attempt to crystalize my thoughts through hopefully-not-that-mindless bashing on the keyboard, and clarify my own self-doubts. And I hope that when graduated me looks back at the little boy who was sitting at his cluttered desk, attempting to sound intelligent, he will at least be able to see that those attempts have become successes.
Thanks goes to my friend who decided to ask to read my blog; it kinda of forced me out of my idleness, and made me realise blogging is a (somewhat worthwhile) method of procrastination HAHA. Cheers, in case you do read this post.
PS: Most of this was written at 3am. A time which brings out the philosopher in each of us, I feel. Grammar Cheetahs, please forgive any mistakes made :)
Fishballs; 12:58 AM